What We Do
We work to fill the cracks and build the infrastructure that helps feed our hungry neighbors. Our efforts are part of a collaborative community effort with a great group of caring partners.
First annual Local at Heart golf tournament at The Stone Dock Golf Course.
Thanks to Francis and Jennifer O’Donnell at Stone Dock for hosting and promoting our event.
New Paltz United Methodist Church coordinators Nani Bautochka and Kathy Weiss accept a donation from Local at Heart board members in support of the Supplemental food program. Board member Linda Engler is behind the camera.
Facilitated redesign and funded the purchase of applicances and work for the new certified commercial kitchen at the New Paltz Reformed Church. UlsterCorps will be using the facility to provide hot meals for the community.
What We’ve Done
- In 2022 we donated $500 to Rosendale Food Pantry in an effort to support the growing need for food supplements.
- We were happy to give a $500 donation to the New Paltz Rotary on behalf of the many local families that are struggling in these hard times. Thank you to Dawn and Bob Rich and the members of the Rotary for their organization and work for their important ongoing support for the kids in our community.
- Support the New Paltz United Methodist Church with a $3,000 donation for their weekly food supplement program 2022. With escalating food prices the needs for seniors and migrant families in our community are growing.
- Donated $3,000 to Project Help Your Neighbor 2020, in light of so many who are unemployed due to the pandemic. The program provides residents with meal vouchers from local restaurants.
- Volunteer at the Helping Hands Food Pantry in Gardiner to separate and distribute food.
- Assisted local education group – NPUT, New Paltz Middle School, and New Paltz PTA to collect and distribute food to residents as they face unemployment due to the Covid 19 pandemic in 2020.
- In 2019 Local at Heart donated $6,000 to New Paltz Reformed Church for appliances and construction of Certified Kitchen for use by UlsterCorps. This location will be a distribution point for fresh hot meals. Facilitated and helped to coordinate the kitchen redesign.
- Provided reusable bags to food pantries in Gardiner, New Paltz, Rosendale, and Rondout to replace plastic bags.
- Facilitated food recovery program between Mohonk Mountain House and Family of New Paltz in 2019.
- Funded the Summer Food Program, which feeds hungry New Paltz area children who miss out on school lunches during the summer months. Worked with local Girl Scouts to bag food.
- Made substantial monetary donations to Family of New Paltz, Saint Joseph’s Food Pantry, and the Student Christian Center Food Pantry.
- Provided several industrial transport carts to Gardiner’s Helping Hands Food Pantry to aid in transporting food.
- Worked with the New Paltz Community Foundation to renovate the St. Joseph’s Food Pantry. New custom shelving and cabinets were built, a new restaurant grade freezer and refrigerator were added, and a much needed lighting upgrade was completed. Made a monetary contribu- tion to purchase the appliances.
The food needs are great and to help our partners, we need help from you. Please contact us if you would like to join us or help with our efforts. If you are able, please make a donation today to help us maintain year-round assistance.